Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
At SERVPRO of East Bellevue we pride ourselves in being a responsive, reliable and skilled partner in the local fire damage restoration community.
There are a lot of elements on the road to recovery after a fire damage event. For this reason the restoration team that comes to mitigate the damage needs to be properly trained and experienced to tackle the job responsibly and skillfully.
Our Bellevue area restoration team regularly addresses fire damage throughout the city. We have the expertise and tools to help address even the most serious fire damage losses.
Check out these tips below and follow-up with any questions you may have.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (425) 643-1200
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.